Saint Gregory the Illuminator Cathedral (Surp Grigor Lusavorich Cathedral) was built as the symbol of the 1700th anniversary of Armenia’s proclamation of Christianity as the first Christian Nation in the world. It is also well known as the largest Armenian Church in the world and the first modern real cathedral built in Yerevan. The location is on the small hill in the Kentron Distric of Yerevan and next to the metro station of General Andranik. A statue of Zoravar (General) Andranik can be viewed at the bottom of the stairs leading the Church on the hill. The construction had started in 1997 and was completed in 2001.
The complex consists of 3 churches; the main church – 1700 seats –, the Chapels of St. King Tiridates and of St Ashkhen the Queen. The Cathedral has the Holy Remains of St. Gregory brought from Naples, Italy. The area is very large, approximately 3,800 sq meters and the height records 54 meters. You can find the hall for receptions is found on the lower floor of the main church.